MSBA has been contacted by Peachtree Commodities
concerning discounted sugar for sale. This deal would be for members only. Here are the specs provided to us by a very helpful member:
- the minimum purchase is 1 pallet
- a pallet contains 40 bags @ 55# per bag, total weight = 2,200# per pallet.
- cost per pallet is $550 + shipping ( 2,200# x .25$/# = $550)
- they can arrange shipping at an additional charge that would need to be quoted at purchase time.
- I gave her zip code 29072, she'll get back to me on probable shipping $ per pallet.
- the Charleston beekeepers avoid the shipping and mostly pick up the bags themselves.
- the sugar is from South America, she says its organic and originally destined for
when a customer refuses a pallet due to damage, they take the damaged
bags and build a pallet of them, then wrap the pallet, so the bags will
have some damage that causes the original customer to refuse delivery.
If we have to have sugar shipped:
Assuming shipping is $200 for 1 pallet, the total cost would be (2200*.25)=$550+$200shipping=$750,
which translates to .34/pound. Word from fellow beekeepers
is that anything near .40/# is a good deal, so maybe this could work out
for the club.
We don't know what effect more than 1 pallet
would have on shipping cost. If we have enough interest we
could find that out.